rebuilt sittig tr engine

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: rebuilt sittig tr engine
From: rhomer@porchlight.ca
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:57:35 -0400 (EDT)
----- Original Message -----
From: Randy Homanchuk
To: list
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 10:24 AM
Subject: tr engine sitting long time

List : I have a chance to purchase a supposed rebuilt 4
cylinder Tr engine for my 1960 tr 3 and now long sitting
around ,the engine numbers stamped on block read ct5396e    if
it totally orginally would that number  specify a 86 mm  tr4
bore engine?? ,maybe a 87mm tr4a ???if engine was rebuilt with
large amounts of assembly lube  and it still turns smooth and
easly by hand? (spark plugs out) I am looking for opinions on
what time would have done to the stock factory rear main seal
ie. the felt soaked in shellac and for that matter is there
not  more felt strips on rear main caps? also on the front
caps also??anything else I should be looking for? pull the
valve cover ,examine for dirt or rust? or just stay away from
it and rebluid an old running orginal  thanks in advance Randy