Carb needles

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Carb needles
From: jefflee77@earthlink.net
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:35:46 -0400 (EDT)
Hey listers,

I'm starting to rebuild the carbs on my 63 TR4, CT 21244 L.(on jack stands in
garage, hasn't run in 20 years) I ordered the master rebuild kit from moss and
the standard needles. When I removed the needle from the first carb, I found
that it was longer(about a quarter inch) than the new one. Yet they are both
marked with "SM".  What's up with that?
The PO, my Father-in-law, says that the car has a racing cam in it. Should I
leave the longer needle in? It looks to be in pretty good shape.
I will listen to any advice anyone that has rebuilt carbs can offer.