Ain't technology wonderful?

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ain't technology wonderful?
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:54:48 +0100
Hi, guys

Been off list for 2 weeks and spending time deep in a forest with no phone,
radio, newspaper or anything. Fantastic!
Had to break into things at the end of the first week to be fitted with my
new digital hearing aid. Bloody thing picks up birdsong fantastically!
Haven't heard them for 25 years and thought someone had shot the lot!
Anyway, came home on 14 Sept and went to fill up the PI not knowing that in
my absence, gas prices in the UK have gone through the roof.
Twelve gallons cost me US$92.00.
There's no way I'm going to continue driving an old (but fun) car at 20mpg
at these prices.
But there's a curious twist regarding the hearing aid. On the way home (and
still reeling) from an empty wallet, I heard a new and curious ticking
sound. Sounded like two sloppy tappets.
I wish Lucas made hearing aids. Mine is one of those German thinngs from
Siemens but if I'd had a Lucas product, I'm damned sure it would have told
me I had five sloppy tappets instead of two. You just can't get quality
these days :)

Jonmac