Steering Rack Mounts

To: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Steering Rack Mounts
From: john.dunham@teradyne.com
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:05:20 -0400
The other night I was finally able to sneak off into the garage and get
some work done on the TR4.  The task was to cut out the old style "mickey
mouse" type steering rack mounts (original to the 1962) and weld in the
newer style beefy rack mounts donated from my 1964.    Prior to me cutting
out the newer style mounts from the 64, I welded some square tubing from
the rack itself to the horizontal shock tower tube (that the radiator
supports also bolt to) This way I had a good reference point so that when I
went to install the newer mounts, I simply bolted up the support tube, and
the mounts were pretty accurately located.  I also measured as well as
leveled everything as best I could.
My question is that now that I have tacked everything into place, are there
any final checks that are critical prior to me finish welding the mounts
into place?  Seems like between the rack itself  and the tie-rod ends,
there is plenty of tolerance to accommodate any slight misalignments.  Any
comments?  Has anyone else ever done this switch?
Thanks as always,
John Dunham
Development Engineering
Teradyne Connection Systems