Starter update #1

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starter update #1
From: Andrew Frink <tr4@drooartz.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 20:21:15 -0600
While the TR4 is still immobile, I have made some progress. I removed
the battery and starter to run some tests, then remembered that the
local British Motor Club had a run tonight. Drove over to the meeting
point with the parts, and chatted to some of the folks. Well, we
grabbed my jumper cables and tested the starter right there in the
parking lot. Off the TR4 battery, it turned really slow. Off the
Hyundai battery, it looked okay. A friend in the club suggested
jumping the TR4 from my other car (hadn't thought of that--I was so
focused on a possible bad starter I never thought to try. [sheepish
grin] ).

A rough test, hooking the Hyundai battery to the cables on the TR4
(battery removed) and the the TR4 at least tried to start. Motor
turned, but didn't catch. Seemed to be a little sluggish. At least
the starter was working. So tomorrow its off to get the battery load
tested as suggested here. I'm thinking it is bad. Next will be too
test the alternator and make sure it is really alternating.

So still no driving, but at least I'm learning!

-Drew

--
Andrew Frink
Salt Lake City, UT