RE: ebay liars?

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: ebay liars?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:45:49 -0700
> Even though I've been buying parts off ebay for some time without any real
> problems (knock on wood) isin't a purchase really based on trust; and if the
> item is not as described, then your ONLY recourse is plead with the guy, and
> then after that, if still not satisfied, to give him negative feedback?

PayPal and Visa have already been mentioned.  If it's someplace not too far
away, you may also be able to file in small claims court.

> Then what prevents him from changing his name, and assuming a new identity
> because he's earned a bunch of negative feedback?  Is this why folks change
> their names on ebay?

It definitely happens.  I know someone personally that was actually evicted by
eBay, and started selling again under a different ID.  I've seen him under at
least 3 different ids, but there may have been more.

> I'd be interested to know if others have been schemed off ebay and how
> widespread it is?

I've been pretty unhappy a few times now, like the TR3 front apron in "good
condition" that arrived in two separate pieces, and the "working" ignition
switch that was seized.  And there is an OD Stag gearbox in the UK that I paid
for but will probably never see.

Funny story, the fellow that sold me the front apron tried to offer me some
other TR parts rather than refunding my money.  He offered a pair of rear
bumpers with "no rust", but only sent a photo of one bumper.  First time I asked
for the other bumper photo, he sent the same photo again.  Second time I got no
reply.  Third time he admitted that the other bumper had disintegrated due to
rust when they tried to take it off the car!  I did eventually get my money
back, after chasing him to a different email address and a different eBay ID.

Randall