RE: Wheel alignment TR4A IRS

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wheel alignment TR4A IRS
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:54:46 -0700
> There was recently some interesting correspondence on wheel alignment
> and the method outlined by Randall for toe in and camber is most useful.
> There are (I think), 2 other areas that need to ba addressed after a
> complete rebuild and they are:
> 1. The adjustment of the packing pieces at the lower fulcrum brackets
> (ie making the wheel move forward or back) to ensure the car does not
> pull to any side.

My cars haven't had that adjustment, so I didn't cover it.  But I believe on
the TR4A, those shims adjust the castor.  And as I recall, castor can be
measured by measuring apparent camber with the wheels turned first one
direction, then the other, and subtracting the two measurements.

> 2. The 'toe in" of the back wheels (perhaps this is the same as for the
> front except that one needs to move packing instead of adjusting by
> screw).

Yup, same process should work.

> You also, presumably need to prevent "crabbing" so they both
> need to be true to the front wheels.

This isn't particularly critical, IMO, so I just check it with a long
straightedge held against the tire sidewalls.  Somewhere I've read of a
method using string & jackstands that is probably more accurate.

Rear wheel camber should also be checked/adjusted on IRS Triumphs.  There's
a good article on this subject in the July 2002 issue of the Buckeye
Triumphs Newsletter, which can be found at
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/newsletter/PDF_Files/Jul2002.pdf

Randall