Re: GT6 wheels

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GT6 wheels
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:37:30 -0400
On 19 Sep 2005 at 15:32, pethier@isd.net wrote:

> What kind of wheels are they?  14" wheels with a 3.75" bolt
> circle for GT6, Spitfire, Europa, Elan are probably not that
> plentiful.

Ted Schumacher sold me a set of Cosmic Mk2 from a Europa.  But you
know, I've forgotten what size they are, and I'm on vacation about
300 miles from home so I can't go check.  Are they really 14"?  I'm
running Bridgestone Potenzas, but I don't remember the size either,
maybe 175/70.  I know they are 70 series and 2 sizes wider than
stock.  I've been quite pleased with them.  They don't rub the
fenders (AFAIK), look purposeful and handle well.  I don't run the
GT6 competitively so as long as they feel good I don't care if they
give up a bit of absolute performance.  However the speedometer reads
about 5% high, so their diameter may be slightly less than stock (or
maybe the speedometer always was optimistic).

Cameron, the original poster, wrote:
>I am trying to get just a little more oomph out of cruising speed.

I'm not sure what that means.  In the old days, the rule of thumb
used to be you could go up two sizes if you dropped the aspect ratio
by one (from 78 to 70, which today would be called 80 to 70).  IIRC,
the stock tire was 155/78, so 185/70 will be noticeably higher than
stock, costing you a little acceleration in all gears but giving you
lower rpms.  (I don't think that engine will ever be any quieter
though!)

Cameron, you should sheck out triumphspitfire.com, the website of
Spitfire & GT6 magazine.  I haven't checked there for a few months
but they used to maintain a page of people's experiences with
different wheels and tires, exactly what you want.

>Panasport springs to mind.  150 bucks for a set
> of four sounds a darn good price if these wheels are
> straight and in good shape.

Yes indeed.  That would also be a good price for Minotaurs or any of
the other quasi-Panasport wheels if, as Phil E sez, they are straight
and in good shape.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com