RE: Hot Carbs and Heat Shields-A TR6 Prospectus

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Hot Carbs and Heat Shields-A TR6 Prospectus
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 06:51:54 -0700
> Before I put a heat shield  on my TR4 vintage racer, the domes on the carbs
> we VERY hot to the touch. When I hand fabricated the heat shield and
> installed
> it, the domes actually became cool to the touch.

WHich brings up a point that people should perhaps be aware of.  Carburetors
actually need a certain amount of heat to work properly under all conditions, as
the pressure drop at the butterfly under cruise conditions causes a
refrigeration effect.  Under just the right conditions, the cooling can form ice
(known as carburetor icing) which makes the engine run like crap.

I've never had this happen on a TR, but it did happen to me once on an Audi
100LS where I had disconnected the original carburetor heat (for the same reason
we are adding heat shields).  And I have seen condensation form on the SUs on my
TR3A, due to the chilling effect.

I'm definitely NOT suggesting that the heat shields are a bad idea, just that
people should be aware that keeping them cooler also introduces the chance of
carburetor icing.  If you're driving along on a cool evening (the kind that
isn't below freezing but leaves ice on the grass in the morning) and your engine
suddenly starts running like a bucket of bolts, you'll have one more potential
reason why.

Icing is very rarely a problem on the race track of course.

Randall