RE: TR3A fuel tank felt alternative?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A fuel tank felt alternative?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 06:49:53 -0700
> Is there an alternative to the felt vibration insulation around the gas
> tank?  I'm sure it's ideal in preventing chaffing but it's also a lovely
> wick for water and fuel, however anything else I can think of will likely
> get eaten by gasoline.

I used real wool felt when I serviced my 3A gas tank almost 20 years ago now.
Had occasion to examine it after the car was wrecked last year, it still looks
new under the straps.

But if you really want something else, MMC sells strips of Buna-N (nitrile)
rubber in various thicknesses, widths and constructions.  I have a suspicion
that the metal/rubber interface is likely to wick and hold water worse than the
wool felt will, but hopefully I'm wrong.
http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=3279

Randall