TR6 Clutch Survey Part 3-Comments

To: 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Clutch Survey Part 3-Comments
From: acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 21:25:37 -0400
Everyone who has responded has had no problems with their set-ups with
the exception of the responses listed below. I have also listed a few

Response #1
"I'm using B&B pressure plate/w cranked fingers & B&B
driven disk & the Gunst bearing. I did NOT do the
preload spring. It DOES SQUEAL.

FWIW, (Said this before) I firmly believe that the
B&B/w cranked fingers causes the squeal. Don't know
why? Greg Donegan had the EXACT situation as me. He
got tired of listening to it & went with the Sachs PP,
B&B driven disk & Gunst Bearing. No squeal. I had an
OLD B&B heavy duty PP/wo the cranked fingers in the
car & it did NOT squeal. I might be going back to it,
but I'm just tired of pulling the gearbox....done it
like 3x in the past 2 years. Love to see what people
are using...I'd also be interested if their clutchs
squeal??"

Response #2
"I am running the following for the past 4 driving seasons:

B&B pressure plate - not sure what part number but it is VERY heavy.
B&B friction disk.
Koyo - Landcruiser throw out bearing

The combo seems to function well in terms of release point etc.

When I first fired the car up after getting it all back together, I had
the
whistle from what was probably the bearing skimming the pressure plate.
It did
it on occasion for a few days, then went away and never came back. I
assume
that when I do remove the clutch I will see the grooves worn into the
pressure
plate. That's OK...I don't like it anyways :-) WAY too stiff.

When (IF) I do replace the clutch, I will use a Laycock PP and disk
from the
loft and an RHP bearing that has been dipped in molten grease. We'll
see how
this works."

Response #3
"Aaron, when I bought my 76 about 3 years ago, on the way home from
Texas the TOB started raising you know what. When I looked throught he
paperwork, the clutch had less than 1k miles on it. I took a stock TOB
and packed it with lithium. That was 6k miles ago and it is very quiet.
The TOB I bought was a 17.00 one from NAPA. I think the biggest problem
with TOBs is everyone wants to install as is and hope it lasts forever.
I also lube the fingers on the PP and the pilot bearing. "

Aaron Cropley
71 TR6 (Throttle Body Injection!)
http://www.triumphowners.com/108
Topsham, Maine