Re: TR6 Clutch Survey Part 3-Comments

To: 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Clutch Survey Part 3-Comments
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 19:06:33 -0400
acekraut11@aol.com wrote:

> Response #1
> "I'm using B&B pressure plate/w cranked fingers & B&B
> driven disk & the Gunst bearing. I did NOT do the
> preload spring. It DOES SQUEAL.
>
> FWIW, (Said this before) I firmly believe that the
> B&B/w cranked fingers causes the squeal. Don't know
> why? Greg Donegan had the EXACT situation as me. He
> got tired of listening to it & went with the Sachs PP,
> B&B driven disk & Gunst Bearing. No squeal. I had an
> OLD B&B heavy duty PP/wo the cranked fingers in the
> car & it did NOT squeal. I might be going back to it,
> but I'm just tired of pulling the gearbox....done it
> like 3x in the past 2 years. Love to see what people
> are using...I'd also be interested if their clutchs
> squeal??"

I would strongly recommend that the preload load spring be added.

Gunst very clearly stated that the preload spring MUST be used, and said it
would squeal w/o it. He
also recommended against the B&B with bent fingers, saying it would SOMETIMES
squeal. He agreed that
he could not explain why it would sometimes squeal, and believed, in theory, it
should not.

Dick Taylor used the B&B w/o squealing, and also could see no reason why the
B&B with bent fingers
should squeal.

So it's a bit of a mystery. I would say there's a good chance the preload
spring is the problem.
Worth a try anyway.

Don Malling