Re: TR6 Axle boots - advice needed.

To: jerryvv@alltel.net, dogzbody1@yahoo.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Axle boots - advice needed.
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 17:05:18 EDT
In a message dated 9/26/2005 3:47:33 PM Central Standard Time,
jerryvv@alltel.net writes:
> The IRS 4A's never had boots so I question their real value or need on the
> 6's. OTOH Triumph did put them there for a reason, I just question their
> reason! They are dust covers only and not like the CV joint covers of
> today's FWD cars. The U-J's are sealed units. Replace if you want and yes I
> do think you need to pull the axle.
> JVV

These boots are on the spline joints which should be greased.  Without the
boots dirt and grit will get in there and lock them up making for funny
handling.

I don't know for sure if you can change them out by taking the flange loose
but I think it is worth a try.  You may have to support the car from the
trailing arm to raise it so the flange half will drip far enough to disengage
the
other half.

Dave