Re: TR4A SU Center Pull Throttles-Population Size

To: mathews@uga.edu, jerryvv@alltel.net
Subject: Re: TR4A SU Center Pull Throttles-Population Size
From: zoboherald@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 22:11:32 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Mathews <mathews@uga.edu>

   can't speak to the technical side of the center pull, but it was my
understanding that the MG guys ended up owning SU for a while, so TR
went with the Zenith so as to not use a competitor's product. The MG
boys sold SU and TR went back to them. I may be wrong, but won't be the
first or last.

==AM==
Well, not quite wrong. Truth is, SU was owned by BMC, who apparently
wanted to charge more to Triumph (still separate at this point) for SUs
than they would charge their own marques. Triumph's Dennis Barbet was
the man primarily responsible for designing a carburetor that followed
essentially the same principles of operation while getting around
specific SU patents. But by 1968, it was largely a moot point, since
Triumph's parent company Leyland had merged with BMC to become BLMC.

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph
Herald Database at its new URL: <http://triumph-herald.us>