RE: fuel line feed to H6 carbs

To: "Richard Alexander" <RALEXANDER@smail.umaryland.edu>,
Subject: RE: fuel line feed to H6 carbs
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:15:03 -0700
> Clarify something for me. Does the fuel line going to the carbs in TR3
> typically attach first to the front or rear carb?

AFAIK, the factory always routed it to the front carb first.  Early cars had
a sort of 2-headed banjo fitting with one bolt to the front bowl lid, while
the later ones had two push-on fittings sticking out of the front float bowl
lid.   For the early carbs the line from front to rear carb ran above the
carbs and behind the domes.  For the later ones, it loops down under the air
cleaner for the front carb.  Both locations are a long way from the exhaust
manifold.

> Front carb identified by choke
> cable attachment lever, which on my car is on the front carb.

That's also right.

> or else fuel line was brought around the front of the engine.

Again AFAIK, all TR2-4, even RHD, had the fuel line brought around the front
of the engine.  The line comes out of the pump on the horizontal, turns to
vertical until just about the level of the head/rocker cover joint, then
turns forward and curves around just under the thermostat cover.  There
should be a clip or bracket under the lower thermostat cover nut that
carries the fuel line.

If you have an early owner's manual (or the Bentley workshop manual
reprint), the fuel line can be seen in Fig 16 "Ignition leads".  The line
leaves the fuel pump in the lower RH corner of the photo, and runs along
above the spark plugs.  The capillary tube for the temp gauge is fastened to
it with two aluminum "tie wraps".  The clip at the thermostat cover is
mentioned on page C4 in the workshop manual, but I couldn't find a photo of
it.

1/4" brake line, which can be found at almost any auto parts store, makes a
good replacement for the fuel line, IMO.  I'd suggest a tubing bender
though, it's a little hard to bend by hand.  Try to save the ferrule (gland)
at the fuel pump end, AFAIK no one is selling proper replacements for it.
The nut at the fuel pump is unobtanium as well.

Randall