RE: TR4 Starter Probs

To: "Tim I. Purdy" <timipurdy@citlink.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 Starter Probs
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:50:42 -0700
> The other plugs,
> were already
> dark and foul looking, and had not been installed more than a
> month.  Could
> the actual spark plugs be the culprit?

If you're still running points, then the spark plugs could definitely be a
problem, even if they're only a month old.  With points, the spark can be
lost if the plugs are the least bit conductive due to deposits or glazing
(which can result when heavy deposits are burned off).  Electronic ignitions
are less susceptible (due to faster rise time, not more "voltage").

"dark and foul looking" may mean the plugs are too cold (to burn off the
soot from starting), but might also mean the mixture is too rich (sooty all
the time) or the engine is burning a lot of oil.  You can sometimes coax a
fouled plug back into life by heating it with a propane torch to burn off
the fouling.

>  And what type of plugs are others using?

I'm also using Bosch WR7BP.  Don't know that they're better than anything
else (even though they are platinum and fairly expensive), but they seem to
work well for me.  They seemed to tolerate my hot (MSD) ignition much better
than conventional plugs, and didn't give me any problems when I ran on
points for a couple of years.

Randall