Re: Browns Spitfire/ Electric Gremlins

To: paulfmeyer@msn.com, Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Browns Spitfire/ Electric Gremlins
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:41:50 EDT
In a message dated 9/29/2005 7:25:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
paulfmeyer@msn.com writes:

> I had similar gremlins in my '78 when I first got her on the road.  I went
> over the car and cleaned up crusty contacts in the lights, which helped
> some.  A friend suggested I replace the grounding strap, which helped.  Once
>
> I replaced the Lucas alternator with a GM unit, most of my troubles cleared
> up completely.

Thanks Paul,
I am also suspicious of the fuse box itself.  I cleaned that up and so far
the fuses are holding. Not sure about the relationship between first having
voltage regulator issues when I lost that quarter tank of gas on the fuel gauge
with the radio on then got it back with the radio off then next the tach,
ignition light, blowing fuses issue.  May be something interrelated there.
During my
last encounter I at one time had no ignition light with the ignition on,
motor not running, fooled with the fuse box some more and got the light back
which
would be normal.  I replaced the regulator a couple years ago because the
Temp gauge was reading hot.  Then I have that melted white wire coming off the
ignition switch that has been that way for 20 years.  Lots of Gremlins, Huh!  I
am going to try and get small to go under the dash next.  I hate that job but
it has to be done.
Cheers,
Darrell

===     http://www.vtr.org