Re: Sticky carb piston

To: Aledotr6@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sticky carb piston
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 14:37:00 EDT
In a message dated 10/1/2005 7:29:42 AM Central Standard Time,
Aledotr6@aol.com writes:
> I rebuilt my Strombergs recently. After reassembling, one of the pistons
> doesn't lift as easily as it should. As far as I can tell, it's the piston
> itself
> causing the resistance, not the needle. Any suggestions on what to do?

The easiest and hence the first test to try is removing the dashpot piston
(on the end of the cap).  If there is no change then remove the dome and piston
and inspect the diaghram.  If the diaghram looks OK then check for motion of
the piston in the dome.  A nick or piece of grit in there can foul the close
tolerance fit of those two.

Did you mix-n-match domes and pistons at some time?  I don't know if they are
matched sets or not but it is possible that some domes and pistons don't like
each other due to the tight tolerances.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org