TR3 Blowing Positive on Valve Cover

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Blowing Positive on Valve Cover
From: "Bill Brewer" <bbrewer@tvwireless.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 21:45:51 -0700
     My TR3 has about 10,000 on the engine I just rebuilt. The car leaks oil
and I have been running a series of experiments to figure out just where it
originates. Anyway, tonight I took the oil filler cap off of the valve cover
with the car running and there is a steady stream of air blowing out (more
than the heater fan puts out...). I also put my hand over the crankcase
breather tube and there was a gentle pulsing of air.
     Is this normal? I don't think that I've done this before. It felt like a
lot of air blowing out to me and I am thinking that I might be pressurizing my
block which would cause oil to ooze out places it shouldn't.
     Still thinking of upgrading to a TR4 valve cover setup with PCV instead
of the breather tube. Maybe it is a better setup for a daily driver.
     TIA,

     Bill "follow the oil stains" Brewer
     Tehachapi, CA

===     http://www.vtr.org