RE: TR3 Blowing Positive on Valve Cover

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Blowing Positive on Valve Cover
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 22:21:33 -0700
> Anyway, tonight I took the oil filler cap off of the valve cover
> with the car running and there is a steady stream of air blowing out (more
> than the heater fan puts out...).

Some air is normal, after all the rings are not perfect.  However more than the
heater fan sounds like too much to me.

> I am thinking that I might be pressurizing my
> block which would cause oil to ooze out places it shouldn't.

It definitely will.

>      Still thinking of upgrading to a TR4 valve cover setup with PCV instead
> of the breather tube. Maybe it is a better setup for a daily driver.

Well maybe ... but the TR4A setup didn't flow much air either.  If you're having
a problem with blow-by, I think you'll find that the TR3 setup relieves more of
the pressure.

Don't forget, at full throttle there is no manifold vacuum, so the TR4A setup
reduces to a 3/8" id tube, rather than the 3/4" or so the TR3 has.  (The TR4 had
no vacuum connection, the tube from the rocker cover just went to the air
cleaners.)

Might make more sense to have the rings out for a look-see.  Not too hard, even
with the engine in the car.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org