Blowing Smoke

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Blowing Smoke
From: MotoPsyche@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 15:54:44 EDT
Here's my smokey tale  of woe...
My '60 TR3A had been  running well enough, but with a slight miss and a
niggling problem with points  pitting (condenser replaced, no change).  Last
night
I decided to clean up  the distributor and plugs, as well as check the vacuum
advance mechanism.   I discovered that the screw mounting the condenser was
binding against the lower  plate and preventing the vacuum advance from
rotating
the plates.  An extra  washer and it was clear.  But I digress.
After checking and  resetting several valves, cleaning the points and plugs
and setting the timing,  I went for a test drive.  Nothing unusual, but I
realized I had forgotten  to reattach the vaccum pipe to the distributor
advance
unit.  I returned to  the garage, hooked up the pipe, then backed out for
another test drive.   This time, I noticed loads of white/blue smoke coming
from the
tailpipe.  Back into the garage to observe the  smoke.  Billowy, I would
say.
A little  background:  Upon pulling the old  plugs earlier, I noticed a
slight shine to the number-four plug, indicating oil  fouling.  The other
three
looked  normal.  After the smoke appeared, I  pulled the number four plug and
noticed a considerable stream of white  smoke coming from the plug hole.  Not
good, I'm thinking.
After rechecking the  valves this morning, a compression test (engine warm,
three plugs in) revealed  185 in #4,170 in #3, 160 in #2, 170 in #1.
Rechecking #4 brought a reading of 160.  After squirting oil in the cylinder,
#4  went
back up to 185 again.  Ibm  guessing oil seeping into #4 after engine
shutdown
brought the initial 185  reading.
There is considerable  blue/white smoke upon start up.  It  then thins out a
bit, but remains consistent at idle and on revving the  engine.
Any clues as to what  Ibm experiencing?  Any other checks  to help with a
diagnosis?  Ibm  curious why the smoke appeared ball of a sudden,b but I
suppose
when stuff  happens, it can happen quickly.
Many thanks in advance  for all assistance.
Bill  Stagg
1960  TR3A

===     http://www.vtr.org