RE: Tme to replace the generator

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tme to replace the generator
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 00:32:40 -0700
> I can't seem to find any references on
> exactly which alternator to buy, although I know there were some.
>
> If I do convert, which 3-wire alternator is the easiest to make fit?

If anyone has a good answer to this, please post it to the list.  I suspect most
people did as I did, and used a full-size American alternator, like the GM 10Si.
They're readily available and cheap, but don't fit all that well on a TR3 due to
the larger diameter.  The later cars are roomier, but it's kind of tight
quarters on a TR3.

Now there are some smaller alternators commonly available, for example my 89
Dodge Caravan had a Mitsubishi alternator that looked to be about the same
diameter as the old Lucas C40 generator.  I know some of the racer supply houses
also sell a "mini" alternator, but they're kind of pricey.

Before I'm buy another alternator, I'll probably spend some time at the local
"pull yer own" junkyard, measuring alternators.  But if anyone else has
information, I'd love to hear it.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org