Re: Rear Trailing arm bushes IRS cars

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Trailing arm bushes IRS cars
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical-iwnet@wight365.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 00:37:23 +0100
Hope this doesn't come through twice, I forgot to remove the stuff at the
bottom on the first send.
Hi Gerald
I have 3 big saloons all running Superflex poly bushings, one has the very
early yellow bushes the others are both on the dark purple (look black in
the dark under a car) and all the cars are driven hard, one is a 2.5PI with
a TR5 spec engine, they have also been used for towing a trailer with
another big saloon on! On inspection recently when changing one of the
shackles to increase the negative camber I was impressed with how little
sign of wear there was. The yellow bushes are about 7 years old and the
purple about 4 or 5. The yellow are unknown mileage, as the car came with
them on, the purple ones each car has done in excess of 20k miles with them.
The bushings I use have a Stainless tube which is the same length as the
steel tube in the rubber bush, it is clamped and the rotation looks to
happen on the tube to poly interface.
I did re bush one of my cars with rubber which lasted less than 18 months,
modern rubber for our cars seems to all be sub standard from my experience
and that of others I have talked to.
I would also say that the road noise was only slightly increased on my cars.
I should also mention the improvement to handling and straight line
stability since fitting poly! I recon it returned the car to how it would
have been when new.

Hope this helps
Graham.