Re: Rear Trailing arm bushes IRS cars

To: ryoung@navcomtech.com, fot@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear Trailing arm bushes IRS cars
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 14:00:36 EDT
In a message dated 10/5/2005 9:36:00 AM Central Standard Time,
ryoung@navcomtech.com writes:
> >I don't recall for certain but I don't think the metal bushings are long
> >enough to be clamped between the mounting ears and held stationary forcing
> the
> >rotation to be between the bushing and the poly mount and not the bolt
> shaft
> >to bushing.
>
> If true, that would definitely be a problem.  However on the ones I have
> (not
> yet installed), the metal tube has 'teeth' to bite into the mounting ears
> and
> keep the tube from rotating on the bolt.  I don't think the tube is longer
> than
> the bushing, but the bushing will compress slightly on installation so the
> tube
> will be firmly clamped.

Everytime I've installed poly bushings I've tightened the nuts up tight.  If
they weren't claming onto the sleeve I would not have been able to move the
suspension afterwards but in every cas I was able to easily move it through its
range.

Dave (Full poly on the TR6 and almost full on the TR8)

===     http://www.vtr.org