Preparing to Remove TR3A Head - Update

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Preparing to Remove TR3A Head - Update
From: MotoPsyche@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 08:11:39 EDT
MotoPsyche@aol.com writes:

In  chasing down my "blowing smoke" situation, evidence suggests a blown
head
gasket.  Accordingly, I'm preparing to remove the head for the  first  time.
I could use any and all tips and BTDT  insights.  As it happens,  the engine
was rebuilt by the PO  approximately 12K ago.

Many thanks to everyone for the very helpful guidance and responses.   I
believe I'm sufficiently forewarned and forearmed.  Let's see if I can  forego
all
of the pitfalls cited.

For those that asked about the symptoms, here they are:  billowing  white
smoke from the exhaust that does not smell like burning oil, a shiny black
spark
plug from #4 cylinder that looked like oil when pulled but dried like  dirty
water, compression that measured relatively even across all four  cylinders,
black liquid drips and spray blown out the tailpipe that dried  like dirty
water, loss of coolant with no apparent cooling system leaks.

I'll report back what I find.  For now, off with its head!

===     http://www.vtr.org