RE: slave cylinder needs mastering

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: slave cylinder needs mastering
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 21:57:35 -0700
> I am rebuilding clutch slave cylinders.  I have one Lockheed and one Girling
> type. The Lockheed is 1 1/8" bore and the Girling is 1" bore (I think).  How
> do I secure the Lockheed piston inside the Lockheed SC when there is NO
> groove for a circlip?

For short term storage, duct tape will work.  For long term storage, I'd suggest
leaving the piston out.

When installed on the car, the pushrod and return spring traps the piston inside
the SC.  Although it is possible for a combination of failures to eject it onto
the pavement.

> Can I use the Lockheed SC on my '60 TR3A which I think originally was
> Girling?

You may find problems with lack of travel at the pedal.  The larger bore SC will
require more fluid movement to operate the  clutch.

>  You see, my Girling SC's piston is stuck inside of it!

Tom already mentioned using air pressure ... the main caveat is to be sure the
open end of the cylinder is pointed away from your face, preferably at a shop
rag or equivalent to catch the flying piston.

Being an impatient sort, I've resorted to much more drastic methods.  Probably
my favorite is to fill the inside of the cylinder as much as you can with carb
or brake cleaner (ie any volatile solvent), then plug both holes tightly.  Mount
the cylinder somewhere secure (I clamp an ear in the vise) and again with the
open end pointed somewhere it won't hurt anything.  I try to get mine pointed
straight up.  Then start heating the SC with a propane torch.  Trust me, it WILL
come apart !

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org