Re: Head Removal Part II

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Head Removal Part II
From: MotoPsyche@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 20:33:33 EDT
In a message dated 10/10/2005 9:35:26 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
jar@aldermanroad.net writes:

>Voila!  The head is now off the TR3A and, sho 'nuff, the  gasket was
damaged
>at the left rear corner of number 4  cylinder.  The wash of water  and
>anti-freeze through the  cylinder appears to have cleaned up the top of that
 piston
>nicely.

What was the origin  of the damage?  Bad installation?  Bad gasket?  If
other,  carefully examine the top edge of the cylinder sleeve.

Speculation is that the PO (or whoever did the engine rebuild) may have
fudged on torquing the left rear corner head bolt to spec because of the plug
installed in the heater valve hole.  The car had no plumbing for a heater  when
bought it, so I removed that plug and installed the heater valve and the
rest of the heater bits.  If that corner head bolt was looser than the  others,
the theory goes, it might have led to the failure of the head  gasket at that
location.

We shall see...

Thanks again to all for the help!

Bill Stagg