RE: TR4A Head Gasket Question

To: "Geo Hahn" <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Subject: RE: TR4A Head Gasket Question
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 21:54:59 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net
[mailto:owner-triumphs@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of Geo Hahn
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 6:29 PM
To: TR

Geo Hahn wrote:
>This is the (Payen) gasket I got from Moss (was copper but as shown has
>been painted with aluminum paint to seal better).  This is on the TR3
>but it is a universal fit with large enough cutouts for 87mm pistons.  I
>take it yours does not look like this.

>http://www.cybertrails.com/~ahwahnee/headoff3.JPG

George,
Thanks for the picture!
It is hard to tell but I think we both have the same gasket. I talked to Ken
Gilanders about it and emailed back and forth with Jack Drews and they both
think I am OK using the gasket I have. Since you sent me the picture, that
makes three out of three. Being suspicious of my engine parts supplier, and
noticing that part of the top of the sleeves was exposed I thought I might
have a problem. My original head gasket has round openings for the cylinders
which is what threw me. Better to resolve it now instead of when the car is
done! Ken said the gasket manufacturer only makes the type I have.
Armed with my new found confirmations, I torqued down the head! Just waiting
on the receipt of my additional felt sealing strips and install the oil pump
and bolt on the oil pan. Looks like I can finish up the motor soon.
Thanks again everyone for our help as always!
Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A
http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a

===     http://www.vtr.org