TR4A Head Gasket Question

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4A Head Gasket Question
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 22:06:20 -0400
Hi List,
As I was installing the head on my TR4A engine, I noticed that the new head
gasket is not like the old one I took off the motor. Here is the problem..
The old gasket has round holes for the cylinders. The new one has kind of a
cutout in it that goes back about 1/2 of the wall thickness of the sleeve.
That leaves in my opinion, a weakened area around the sleeve since the head
gasket doesn't go all the way to the edge of the sleeve. I also have 87mm
pistons in the motor which makes the problem even more critical since the
cylinders are slightly larger.
I already put the head on the motor but I haven't torqued it down yet. I am
wondering if there is a source for a head gasket with round openings for the
cylinders and will work with the 87mm pistons and sleeves.
I think I will call Ken Gilanders tomorrow but I really don't want a solid
copper head gasket.
Thanks in advance,
Dave Connitt

===     http://www.vtr.org