Re: Cylinder Head Retorquing

To: <MotoPsyche@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cylinder Head Retorquing
From: "Lou Metelko" <lmtr4a@ctlnet.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 21:32:24 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: <MotoPsyche@aol.com>
To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2005 8:35 PM
Subject: Cylinder Head Retorquing

> I just clamped on my cylinder head after replacing a blown head gasket  on
> the TR3A.  I've been advised to retorque the head after about 250 miles
or so.

> Just curious...what's most important here...achieving a series of warm
ups
> and cool downs, or putting miles on the car?  If it's the former,
> approximately how many ups and downs are advised before retorquing?

 Bill:

The "Triumph Instruction Manual" states "After the first 500 miles the
cylinder head nuts should be checked for tightness with the engine hot".
The manual makes no mention of the number of hot and cold cycles so it is
just the miles that count but I would assume the manual would prefer
"gentle" miles.  Yes, the heater valve must be removed to get a socket on
the head nut just behind it.  The torque values are the same 100 / 105 lbs
as during initial assembly.

Lou Metelko
Still beautiful fall weather in Auburn, Indiana

===     http://www.vtr.org