Re: Brake Caliper Torque

To: "Guy D. Huggins" <guy@genfiniti.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Caliper Torque
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 08:39:35 -0400
Guy D. Huggins wrote:

> Anyone know the correct torque for reassembling the two halves of a
> Girling 16P brake caliper from a TR4A.
> I am wanting to separate mine for cleaning and renewing but do not want
> to do so until I get the torques correct.
>

> Peace be with you!
>
> Guy D. Huggins
>
> 1965 Triumph TR4A
> CTC 63569LO
> http://www.genfiniti.com/triumph/

This from Nelson Reidel. I sent you all of his brake rebuild stuff in a zip
file.

Don Malling

I then inserted a new seal (Moss part # 583-820) in the passage between the two
halves of the
caliper and bolted the two halves together.    I found the little seals listed
in the moss TR2, 3 &
4A catalogue.   On the same page as the seal was the following caliper tip:
Girling "split"
calipers should not be separated for any reason.  They were not designed for
separation and
reassembly and proper torque specifications are not known, other than the inner
and out bolts are
torqued differently.     The inside bolts are 7/16" diameter and the outside
bolts are 3/8"
diameter.   I torqued the outside 3/8" bolts to 40 ft-lbs and the inside 7/16"
bolts to 70 ft-lbs.
I then coated the bleed nipple threads with rubber grease, screwed it into
position and covered the
end with a new cap from the rebuild kit.

===     http://www.vtr.org