RE: fuses TR3a

To: "TR" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: fuses TR3a
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:07:55 -0700
> VALURX@aol.com wrote:
>
> >In light of this talk about fuses, my 1960 tr3a has a fusebox
> with 2 fuses.
> >What is the correct rating for each and what do they control?

Hmm, I must have missed this one the first time around.

Geo Hahn replied :
> One is for the horns (50a), the other (35a)

Note that, as we've discussed, those are "Lucas" fuse ratings.  If you want
to substitute UL (American) fuses, I would suggest AGC 25 for the horns and
AGC 20 for "everything else".

I forget offhand how the fuse block is oriented, so you may have to look at
the wire colors to determine which fuse is which.  The horn fuse will have
brown (with various tracers) at both ends.  The other fuse will have white
on one side and green on the other.

> most everything else that's
> fused (not much... wipers, fuel gauge, all the 'green wire' stuff).

Which includes also heater (if fitted), turn signals and brake lights.

> Not to fault you for asking this... but your question implies you do not
> have a wiring diagram.  These are readily available on the internet or
> in any shop or owners manual.

I'll agree with that, but be warned that the wiring diagram changed several
times over the years.  It can be tricky to find the right diagram to match
your car.  In particular, wiring the TR3A wiper motor according to the early
TR2-3 schematic (the one shown in the factory workshop manual and the
Bentley reprint) will cause the fuse to blow.  Plus  of course the factory
diagrams are all drawn for the RHS variant, there are some subtle
differences for LHS cars.

The one drawn by Dan Masters for "TR3A, TR3B" is probably the closest one I
know of for your car (but has some minor differences from the way my TR3A
was apparently wired by the factory).
http://www.advanceautowire.com/schematics.htm
It also doesn't make the connector locations as clear as the factory
diagrams do.

Hmm, I just noticed that it's also drawn for the RHS variant.  Guess I
should mention that to Dan.  The difference is really subtle though, so I
doubt it will cause anyone any problems.  The only thing that changes is
where the control head is connected to the harness.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org