Re: nail strip + dash vinyl.

To: "Bob Labuz" <yellowtr@adelphia.net>,
Subject: Re: nail strip + dash vinyl.
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:33:14 -0400
> A few months ago, someone mentioned that it is alot easier to replace the
> plywood nailing strip on the seats with a plastic strip available at
> upholstery supplys.

Just redid the plywood nailstrips myself, Bob.  It's a bit of a pain, but
with patience is easy enough.

First, I POR-15'ed the back of the seat.  Then I made a template of the
"shot" strip with posterboard, which I then transferred onto plywood.  Cut
the plywood strip with a jig saw. Cut four or five of these, because haste
makes break.

Then, fill the bathtub with water, put your seat back in the water, and put
your strip across the shallower curve (the top of the seat back).  Clamp
gently on at the 1/4 and 3/4 points.  let soak overnight.  Tighten clamps.
After a couple of days, move the strips and clamps to the deepest curve
(bottom of the seat back).  Clamp gently, again at the 1/4 and 3/4 points
(between the edges of the seat).  When you've got the ends of the strip
inside the curve of the metal seat back, you've won.

Er, mornings are dark now...warn your wife about the stuff in the tub,
before she's tempted to get creative with those clamps.

Good luck, and have fun!

Terry Smith
'59 TR3A TS 58667 (Body still off, but some headway there with the front
half.  Rest done...upholstery, mechanics, all of it. ...except the waiting
for the body guy.)
New Hampshire

===     http://www.vtr.org