RE: Tires

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tires
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 21:56:02 -0700
> I just acquired a 62 TR3B form my brother. It has been sitting for about 7
> years so all fluids have to be flushed and that's a given. The tires have to
> be replaced and that's a problem. The tires on it now are Yokohama S-701
> 165SR15.. Notice that there is no ratio number (165/XXSR 15). What tire size
> can I put on that wont mess up the speedo to much.

The original tires were either 811 turns per mile (bias ply) or 835 tpm
(radial).  If you poke around on Tire Rack's web site, they have tpm ratings for
most of the tires they sell.
http://www.tirerack.com

The Kumho Power Star 165/80TR15 would probably be a decent choice, even though
the tpm isn't listed.

Size 185/65-15 is a fairly good match too, although the stock TR3B wheels are
just a bit narrow for them.  Worked fine for me, though.  The advantage, IMO, is
that you can buy fairly high performance tires in this size and they are still
fairly inexpensive.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org