Re: why to NOT powder coat in your kitchen

To: tr3driver@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: why to NOT powder coat in your kitchen
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:56:01 EDT
In a message dated 10/25/2005 11:49:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
tr3driver@comcast.net writes:

Care to  explain why, Jack ?  The tray in my microwave oven was powder coated
 by
the factory, and it hasn't poisoned me yet.  If the fumes somehow  penetrate
the
surface of the oven and make it poisonous, wouldn't they do  the same thing to
the powder coated parts ?

Yes, I'd be happy to.

First of all, I'm baffled at why you'd think there's any similarity between
putting a fully cured powder coated item in your oven and putting an item with
 fresh powder on it that you're going to cure - the fresh powder is going to
out-gas as it cures. The odor alone is pervasive and usually considered
extremely undesirable in the kitchen area of a residence - if you live  alone
YMMV
- this process is also going to leave a residue on the interior of  your oven
that will outgas again the next time you heat up the oven and if  that next
time involves a cooking, rather than a powder coating, process  your food is
probably going to absorb those fumes. I thought it would have been  obvious
this
is an unhealthy thing to do - maybe its just more obvious to  me because I've
done a lot of powder coating and I'm all too familiar with  the fumes and
odors involved - I can be busy doing something else on the other  side of the
garage and sometimes tell when the powder is flowing-out by the  change in
smell
in the garage.

secondly, there's always the things that go wrong and the unintended
consequences. All of the following have happened to me:
- while inserting a freshly sprayed item in the oven, you bump the  rack and
part of the powder falls off - if it lands on the heating element, it  will
burn, if it lands next to the heating element its going to smolder for a  long
time
- suppose you hang too much weight on a rack - like..oh...say 2 Spitfire
springs ..and one of them falls off and lands on a heating element - the
resulting fire, though more than a tad unnerving, is (I'm just guessing here)
going
to be a much bigger deal in your house than it was in my garage - i doubt
you'd want to pull the part out and drop it on the floor of your kitchen like i

did in my garage (but, again, i'm just guessing about that)
- if you coat aluminum parts, you're going to have to preheat them to cook
out everything they have absorbed over the last 30 or 40 years or however long
they've been on the object of your restoration. That smoke will leave a
residue  on the interior of your oven and those chemicals are going to wind up
in
or on  your food if you cook in the same oven in the same day. years ago, when
i  powder coated my TR6 trailing arms, one of them had something inside it
that  never did completely cook out - i think the neighbors probably still
remember  the odor as well as i do.

I don't want to get into a debate here, Randall - if you still want to
powder coat in your house or in an oven you cook in, i'm not going to try
anymore
to talk you out of it - i just want everyone else on the list to know  what a
horrible idea this is.

Cheers
Jack Mc

===     http://www.vtr.org