Re: Quizz Answers ... NO LBC

To: standardtriumph@btinternet.com, pethier@isd.net, OC@46thfoot.com,
Subject: Re: Quizz Answers ... NO LBC
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 12:08:10 EST
In a message dated 12/9/2005 4:04:51 PM Central Standard Time,
standardtriumph@btinternet.com writes:
> No, but its all getting a bit complicated now. You can buy a pint of beer -
>
> but not a pint of paint because its illegal to sell paint in the old
> imperial measure That said, its also illegal to sell beer in litres or half
> litres but that's the way our fuel is sold. Its the usual half-baked British
>
> idea of *compromise*

Well, there IS tradition to uphold, after all.  ;-)

Here in the colonies we sell beer in oz's (usually 12 once cans and bottles
but occasionally 16 oz vessles which we call quarts (imagine that)) but
distilled spirits are sold by the litre.  And to add confusion carbonated soft
drinks
are sold in 12 oz cans or in 2 litre plastic bottles.  Try price comparison
shopping with that combination.

But in actuality, learning a new system of measurement is like learing a new
language.  You just use it, get used to it and there is no problem.

Here's a trick question: how many ounces are in a pound?

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org