My car must be growing

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: My car must be growing
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:20:04 -0500
List,
I'm tightening bolts 'under the hood' and the four front chassis mounting
bolts (two on each side) that are 3/8"x24 seem too short.  However, they are
the original bolts and  will just require more metal underneath them.
    My recollection is that topmost is the bolt head, followed by a
lockwasher, then a small plate (which holds the bolts and is 1.5"x6") is
next for the bolts to go thru, then holes in the body, then the correct
assemblage of body mounting pads (as the Moss catalog shows), and finally
into the tower strut of the chassis(a nut is welded internally at this
point). However, when I assemble it this way, the original bolt tries to
push the bottom of the strut out and distends it.  Apparently, I need
another piece of metal to 'take up the original bolts length.  Maybe I
should add extra original aluminum body mounting pad?  I ordered extra's.
    Have others had this problem?  I am following the catalog!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3

===     http://www.vtr.org