TRIUMPH WORLD

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TRIUMPH WORLD
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 22:24:37 -0000
I know there are many on these three lists who look forward to receiving and
reading their regular copy of Triumph World.

I don't buy it because it bores me witless.

However, in the February/March 2006 edition, Robin Penrice's column contains
an article, the appearance of which in TW has made me extremely angry
because it is in no way RP's original material. It is plagiarised from a
book I wrote about Standard-Triumph factory life in 1998 and is a gross
infringement of my copyright as an author and a publisher.

I have (unfortunately) known and later worked with Robin Penrice for over a
total period of more than fifty years and I take great exception that
enthusiasts should look to him as an authority on 'factory life' when he
feels free to use my material in such a deceitful and dishonourable manner.
Perhaps listers might care to bear this in mind the next time they read any
other articles under this man's authorship? I would also like to comment
that TW Editor Beadle has asked me on three separate occasions to become a
regular contributor to TW (alongside Robin Penrice) earning a reasonable fee
for the material I submit. He has asked me to do this for the benefit of
enthusiasts, but I'm sorry guys - I'm choosy about the company I keep in
print.

Rant off

Jonmac

2nd March 2006

Tony Beadle, Editor, Triumph World, PO Box 75, TADWORTH, Surrey KT20 7XF

Dear Mr. Beadle

In Robin Penrice's column of Triumph World - February/March 2006 edition, he
describes 'an incredible journey.'

Before embarking on the story itself, Penrice prefers to withhold the
identity of his informant as he states he fears legal action. Even so, in
his current issue, your contributor has also said, quote "the following is a
one hundred percent true story, told as accurately as I can" unquote.

I would compliment him on his attempts at accuracy because Robin Penrice has
paid very close attention to the text on pages 42 to 44 inclusive, in the
copy of the book he bought from me titled "In The Shadow of my Father" which
I wrote and published in 1998. As an aside, I recall you gave it a very good
review at the time, but as I am the author and publisher of the work in
question, there is no way Penrice can claim any aspect of the material about
Monika and Hans Koch is his own. Perhaps that is why he is so reluctant to
identify me as its original author? He has plagiarised my material,
infringed my copyright and submitted an article for publication that in no
way originated from him. Please be aware that at no time beforehand, did
Robin Penrice approach me or Hans Koch's daughter, to ask whether either of
us would agree to him using my original work in whole or in part.

But, while Penrice continues to trample on whoever he pleases to satisfy his
own ego (and maybe earn a pound or two into the bargain?) he has compromised
Triumph World. While you as the Editor may have taken his article in good
faith, you are by default responsible for the plagiarism and infringement of
my Copyright by publishing it. Therefore it is to Triumph World that I am
looking for redress.

This matter needs to be reviewed and discussed in depth at a very early
opportunity, so will you please contact me as soon as possible to set up a
meeting at which my Agent and my Legal representative will be present. It
will have to be at a mutually convenient location in this town as I have
recently suffered a stroke, cannot travel far and have to go to all my
appointments in a wheelchair. I feel it is worth pointing out that this will
be an occasion when Robin Penrice's presence is most certainly not required.

Yours sincerely

John Macartney

===     http://www.vtr.org