TR4A Engine Questions - Round 4

Subject: TR4A Engine Questions - Round 4
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 09:39:05 -0600
Listers,

I has a chance to take my cylinder liners and pistons to the machine
shop this week, along with my crankshaft, for inspection and
measurement.
As it turns out, both my liners and pistons will need to be replaced.
Not a surprise really, considering the responses I received from the
list in Round 3.

I understand the liners, pistons and rings are sold as a set from most
suppliers.  Seeing how these parts are critically important, I have the
following questions.

1. Who sells a quality liner/piston set?  I like to give my money to
TRF.  Is their set good?  Is there a better buy?
2. I've heard a lot of talk, and read a lot of articles, about choosing
from the different bore diameter sizes available (83, 86, 87, 89mm).
What factors should go into deciding which to choose, and what other
parts (like cams or valves) does this choice effect?  In other words,
what secondary systems are most affected by the selection of varying
sizes of liners and pistons?
3. After looking at all the parts and farmed-out work I will end up
buying, the cost of this engine rebuild is approaching the moment of
pause. (So far I've spent $0)  Is there a reputable rebuilder of engines
that I could buy a rebuilt engine from?  If I could purchase a rebuilt
engine less expensively that rebuilding this one, it seems like a
no-brainer.  I am doubtful that anyone has these engines sitting around
on a shelf somewhere, but I've been wrong before.
4. My con rod caps are the type without tab washers, therefore are the
self-locking type.  As these are silly expensive, I'm not pleased with
the prospect of replacing all eight.  Therefore, is there any reason why
I could not purchase 4 tab washers and the bolts used with those?  What
are the specs on those bolts?

As always, thank you everyone for your help.  I could not do this
project without you.

Peace be with you!

Guy D. Huggins

1965 Triumph TR4A