Re: TR4A Engine Questions - Round 4

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4A Engine Questions - Round 4
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 19:51:33 -0500 reply-type=original
> 1. Who sells a quality liner/piston set?  I like to give my money to
> TRF.  Is their set good?  Is there a better buy?

Guy, the list is divided about which are the top two, but either Mahle or
A&E (or is it AE?) matched set are excellent. The danger I've heard of some
of the others (eg on ebay) is, the pistons, rings and liners and are not
matched exactly, so performance and longevity can suffer over time.

In terms of who, checkout whichever of the big three are having the best
deal during winter sale.  You can sometimes get up to 20% or more off.  A
lot depends on who has the stock.

> 2. I've heard a lot of talk, and read a lot of articles, about choosing
> from the different bore diameter sizes available (83, 86, 87, 89mm).
> What factors should go into deciding which to choose, and what other
> parts (like cams or valves) does this choice effect?  In other words,
> what secondary systems are most affected by the selection of varying
> sizes of liners and pistons?

Well, also a matter for debate on the list.  83 through 87 are pretty
standard choices.  89 fine too from a reputable manufacturer.  I worried 89
with thinner walls may exacerbate the TR3 tendency to overheat (as according
to popular wisdom it is).

> 4. My con rod caps are the type without tab washers, therefore are the
> self-locking type.  As these are silly expensive, I'm not pleased with
> the prospect of replacing all eight.  Therefore, is there any reason why
> I could not purchase 4 tab washers and the bolts used with those?  What
> are the specs on those bolts?

Your con rods and caps are mostly likely good.  Have them magnafluxed at a
machine shop.

Have fun!

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A third year this month and ready for paint! (and
re-assembly)
New Hampshire

===     http://www.vtr.org