Re: TR4A Front Suspension

To: mini@nashvilletn.org, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4A Front Suspension
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 18:34:57 EST
In a message dated 3/7/2006 5:20:17 PM Central Standard Time,
mini@nashvilletn.org writes:
> UPS delivered a set of polly upper wishbone bushings today.  Is there a
> reason that I can't just put the frame up on stands. Put a jack under the
> spring pans compressing the springs a litte and remove the two bolts in the
> ball joint and the upper fulcrum nuts.  Then replace the bushings and put it
>
> back together.  Will the springs stay put and not fly out the garage wall??
> Am I missing something important here?  A friend tells me my plan won't
> work.

Sure it will but a safer alternative is to rent/borrow a set of strut spring
compressors that clamp to the outside and hold the spring with those.  Oh,
heck, make yourself a TR spring compressor with some all thread.  You'll have
pull the shock but then you'll have a spring compressor.

Remove one arm at a time leaving one arm in place and the whole vertical link
won't flop down on you.  On my car I have one bolt facing forward and one
facing rearward.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org