the death of me

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: the death of me
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 07:33:12 -0500
Thanks so much for folks help; I thought I was on the brink of death with my
engine...but...an expert is coming over to tell me today.

My problem now is that the rebuilt engine won't turn over. I bet it was
stuck when it came back from the engine shop...strange?

The distributor slot is like 1/8" ATDC and points to the left of No.1.   The
crankshaft pulley hole is only 3/4" on the left from the TDC pointer (BTDC)?
But it is nowhere near true TDC.  Sticking a straw thru the spark plug holes
reveal that pistons 1 &4  take about 4" of the straw, while pistons 2&3
allow about 10" of the straw to be inserted.  Any approximate guess as to
where on the cycle that might be?

I don't recall the different phases of the cycle, other to know that TDC is
with #1 piston at the top awaiting it's compression stroke, right?  In
truth, my McDonald's straw may have just revealed the death of me.

Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3A with a motor from a 63 TR4

===     http://www.vtr.org