Mounting a TR6 gear reduction starter, how the beep does it

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Mounting a TR6 gear reduction starter, how the beep does it
From: David Yip <puppy_friend@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 18:42:52 -0800 (PST)
So to continue my saga of replacing the starter in my TR6 with a
nippon-denso gear reduction starter.  My last problem was that the
adapter plate didn't fit.  Well, I yanked out the file and I've made it
fit.  Now the problem is that no matter what orientation I try, I can't
get the starter to line up with a pair of holes in the adapter plate so
that both main bolt holes aren't covered.  One orientation comes close,
but the starter is seriously wedged against the body of the car.  The
only orientation that seems workable is to put one of the main bolts
into the adapter plate and then mount the starter covering it.  I'll
then try to mount it in the bell housing solely by twisting the nut.
But if you've ever dealt with where the starter is mounted on a TR6, it
may involve much more dexterity than I have.

So can anyone who's mounted a TR6 nippon-denso gear reduction starter
tell me which orientation you mounted it in?

I'm seriously thinking about just getting the original Lucas unit
rebuilt just for ease of installation and writing off the gear
reduction starter.  Can someone recommend a shop in SF Bay Area that
can rebuild Lucas starters?

thanks,
David

===     http://www.vtr.org