RE: Mismatched TRactor rod & bearing size questions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Mismatched TRactor rod & bearing size questions
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 21:29:16 -0800
> My TR3 motor has one connecting rod that, while very similiar to the other
> three, has smaller diameter bolts at the big end. It also has a guide sleeve
> for both bolt holes, instead of just one. If I get them all to weigh about
> the same, is this a problem? Or should I pick up a set of matched conn.
> rods, or at least one more to match mine?

I don't know that it would be a problem, Curt, but I do know that con rod bolts
are a high stress area.  Used rods are common and cheap (they rarely fail) ...
I'd swap it out if you're going to the trouble to have it balanced.  OTOH if
it's just a "quick and dirty" and it ran OK before ...

> Second question: The back of the connecting rod bearing inserts doesn't have
> STD. or -.020 etc. stamped on the back. Can I assume they are standard size
> if they aren't designated otherwise?

I supposed it's safe enough to order inserts, but I'd sure want to double check
with Plastigage before bolting it up.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org