RE: [FOT] Vintage Gran Prix May 6th & 7th @ Camden NJ

To: <Fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [FOT] Vintage Gran Prix May 6th & 7th @ Camden NJ
From: "MDunst / Gasket Works USA" <gasket.works@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:55:28 -0800
Race at Camden??

They are likely kidding about this.  Now, granted it has been some time
since I have been to Camden (thank god).  Indeed, I trained there at the
Cooper Hospital for three years via UMDNJ/Rutgers Med School.   As I recall,
the Philadelphia  Magazine said that there were only three things worthwile
in Camden.  1) See the worlds largest Collection of soup tourines at the
headquarters of Cambell Soup  2) Visit the Walt Whitman Museum 3) Go to the
Cooper Hospital cafeteria  before 0700 to get the Chef's "sticky buns" hot
out of the oven.

I had to participate in a two week service with the Camden County Ambulance
service in and around Camden.  The sights I was subjected to was nothing
less than shocking.  It would be hard to envision that such filth and
depravity were possible in the USA in 1986.  What an Eye Opener.

But as a teaching facility it was just what a medical resident wanted.
Indeed, residents from HUP, MCP, Hahneman...and other Med Schools from
Philadelphia wanted rotations at Cooper because the things happening at
Camden were a bit more raw.  It is hard to describe.

Interestingly, the roads around Camden are paved with ballast
bricks/cobblestones from ships loading goods at Philadelphia and the
surrounding ports along the Delaware.  I know that there has been a strong
rebuilding program in Camden so perhaps this event is a culmination of that.

Anyways, if you happen to go ... and if you like Philadelphia Cheese Steak
Sandwiches ... go to Philadelphia at 20th and Jackson for a taste of one of
the finest.

Here is a bit of History for those who care...

Does anyone care to know how the "Hoagy" sandwich  originated?  Answer in
next day or so.

Mordy Dunst
Gasket Works USA, LLC
www.headgasket.com