RE: Interference Motors

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Interference Motors
From: Jeff.A.Williamson@jci.com
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:48:09 -0500
RE: Interference Motors

                                                              Attachment(s):

I didn't see the original post on this, but I can vouch for what Dave's
saying. My Mistubishi Eclipse did the same thing as his Talon, and ended up
bending 4 of the 16 valves. I currently do a lot of work on the Dodge
Stealth and Mitsubishi cars, with the 24-valve V6 engines. I've seen
several of these engines after the timing belt slipped or broke and valves
got bent. One of them ended up with 12 of 24 bent valves. Not a pretty
sight and very expensive to repair.

Jeff W.
'58 TR3A
Belleville, MI

>Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:57:27 -0500
>From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
>Subject: RE: Interference Motors

>Tom,
>A lot of the Japanese overhead cam 4 cylinder motors are interference
>motors. As long as the rubber timing belt holds everthing is OK. This is
>because the valves open far enough that if one was open enough and the
>piston for that cylinder is at TDC they would hit, not touch, hit...
>That is why it is so important to pay attention to the milage on those
cars
>and not go over the 60-70K mile replacment limit on these timing belts.
>My son had a Eagle Talon which had one of those motors and his wife was
down
>in Louisville, Kentucky (about 100 miles from here) when the timing belt
>just went in traffic. The engine was just idling when it happened. We
tried
>to fix it our selves but the damage was so great that it ended up being
>cheaper to buy a engine from a salvage yard and just replace the dead one.
>I had a '91 Honda Accord that had a timing belt too. I always changed mine
>at least 10K miles before the limit and never had a problem. I ended up
>giving it to my son to drive to work and back two years ago. His wife
>totaled it. I see a pattern here but that is another story!
>Dave Connitt
>'67 TR4A

pic14604.jpg]

===     http://www.vtr.org