Re: Crankshaft welded to block was Death of Me

To: tswrace@pacbell.net, tr3driver@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Crankshaft welded to block was Death of Me
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:08:52 EST
In a message dated 3/13/2006 9:12:18 AM Central Standard Time,
tswrace@pacbell.net writes:
> OK this is a new term for me.  Please tell me what an "interference
> engine" is?  Thanks.

An "interference" engine is one where the piston and valves occupy the same
space - just not at the same time.  In other words as the piston moves down the
intake valve opens up into the region where the piston used to be.  And
during the exhaust stroke the exhaust valve closes up as the piston reaches the
top
because if it didn't they would collide.  Many four valve engines are
interference or else they couldn't get the compression ratio they want.

This works well until the cam belt jumps a tooth or two.  Then it is head
rework time.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org