RE: [TR] TR3A brake reservoir can seal?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3A brake reservoir can seal?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:57:00 -0800
> I have two spare
> cylindrical brake/clutch fluid reservoir "cans" which both have
> some type of
> "rubber" seal on one of the outlets (inside though).
<snip>
>     Anyone have any idea what material this might be (neoprene?)

Strictly a WAG, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was natural rubber.
Certainly the original brake seals were made of something that appeared to
be rubber, but would not stand up to American brake fluid ... many people
have said that they were natural rubber.

EPDM (aka ethylene propylene) would be the best replacement, IMO.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?N2C22647C

> and whether
> it matters if used with either DOT 3 or silicone fluid?

EPDM will work with either one.  DOT-5 is much less aggressive so would
probably not attack other materials, but I'd use EPDM anyway.  Here's one
source (although probably not the best one)
http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=3068

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org