[TR] Why no oil pressure?

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Why no oil pressure?
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:13:10 -0500
I hope no damage was done in 30 sec to 1 minute of cranking my newly rebuilt
motor (w/ the plugs out).  Oil kept coming out, but I'm not sure from where
(besides the valve cover).
I did this in hopes that the oil pressure gauge would give me a good
reading, but instead, it read 0 psi for the entire time I was  cranking the
motor.  But, I wonder if I was doing it right??????????

I had put in 5 1/2 quarts of oil, which seems like alot of oil but yet the
dipstick only showed half full.  I did have the front engine raised some. I
poured a quart of oil in thru the oil relief valve in the oil filter; the
rest of it went in the vc.
  Is it important to be full of oil for proper reading of the oil pressure
gauge?
Does one need to worry about priming the oil pressure gauge?  I think I
checked the gauge out two years ago when I started this project.

Thanks,
Paul Dorsey 60 TR3

===     http://www.vtr.org