Re: [TR] Why no oil pressure?

To: dorpaul@negia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Why no oil pressure?
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:02:21 EST
In a message dated 3/15/2006 8:18:00 PM Central Standard Time,
dorpaul@negia.net writes:
> I hope no damage was done in 30 sec to 1 minute of cranking my newly
> rebuilt
> motor (w/ the plugs out).  Oil kept coming out, but I'm not sure from where
> (besides the valve cover).
> I did this in hopes that the oil pressure gauge would give me a good
> reading, but instead, it read 0 psi for the entire time I was  cranking the
> motor.  But, I wonder if I was doing it right??????????
>
> I had put in 5 1/2 quarts of oil, which seems like alot of oil but yet the
> dipstick only showed half full.  I did have the front engine raised some. I
> poured a quart of oil in thru the oil relief valve in the oil filter; the
> rest of it went in the vc.
>   Is it important to be full of oil for proper reading of the oil pressure
> gauge?
> Does one need to worry about priming the oil pressure gauge?  I think I
> checked the gauge out two years ago when I started this project.

There is no need to prime the gauge.  The pressure will be the same system
wide and the presence of air will not change that.  And you should be able to
build up oil pressure even two quarts low.  Just as a reality check, you did
reinstall the distributor and drive gear, didn't you?

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org